Window Coverings Child Safety
Atlanta Discount Blinds window coverings from Alta meet third party testing standards for child safety, and are best for kids.
Alta Window Fashions BEST FOR KIDS™
When it comes to safety, we take our role seriously, beyond design and operation to awareness and education. We proudly carry the “Best for Kids™” designation. Why? Tough independent laboratory testing proves it.
What is Best for Kids certification?
The Best for Kids certification program was created to help educate consumers about potential window-cord hazards young children face. The certification seal provides confidence for consumers knowing that they have selected a safe product for their home or business.
Not just any window covering qualifies as Best for Kids certified. First, manufacturers must meet certain program criteria set by the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC). Window covering manufacturers must also submit their products to a third-party testing lab. And only after those products pass testing, can they be labeled Best for Kids.
SAFE & SOUND
WHY WE CARE. AND WHY YOU SHOULD TOO.
The challenge. Window treatment cords present a potential strangulation hazard to young children and pets.
Accidents with window treatment cords often involve older products that do not conform to current safety standards. We strongly encourage you to retrofit or replace corded window treatments with current safer designs in accordance with the recommendations of the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) and the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Council (CPSC) who advocate that only cordless window coverings be used in homes with small children.
We support and promote the following safety checklist in conjunction with WCSC and CPSC:
- Move all furniture, cribs, beds and climbable surfaces away from windows.
- Install only cordless window coverings in homes with young children.
- Check your current window treatments for exposed or dangling cords. To order a free retrofit kit for older window treatments, contact the Window Covering Safety Council directly: 1-800-506-4636 firstname.lastname@example.org, www.windowcoverings.org
- Make sure tasseled pull cords are as short as possible. Continuous-loop pull cords on draperies and vertical blinds should be pulled tight and anchored to the floor or wall.
- Be sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit inner-cord movement.
- Keep all window cords well out of the reach of children.
Download the Child Safety Checklist for Window Covering Safety
TIPS AND TACTICS
Armed with information, you can reduce or eliminate those risks and decorate through thoughtful design. In fact, download a copy of our Child Safety Control Options Brochure for a quick reference guide.
SYSTEMS WITH THE BEST FOR KIDS™ CERTIFICATION:
- Automated Products
- Roller Shades: Automation, Cordless Lift, PowerWand™
- Honeycomb Shades: Automation, Cordless Lift, Cordless Lift & Lock™, PowerWand™, Vertical Application, Skylight and Angles
- Dual Shades: Automation, Cordless Lift, PowerWand™, Retractable Cord
- Natural Woven Shades: Automation and Cordless Lift
- Sheer Shadings: Automation, Cordless Lift, PowerWand™, Retractable Cord
- Eclipse® Shutters
- Wood/Faux: Automation, Cordless Lift & Lock
For a free in-home design consultation, and to learn more about child safety for window coverings – Book Your Appointment Today